To become a DOGS NSW Registered Breeder, here's what to do:
1. Become a financial member of DOGS NSW and achieve a minimum period of six months continuous Ordinary or Joint Membership. Associate and Junior memberships do not make you eligible to become a breeder.
2. Become the registered owner of a female purebred dog/s you wish to breed with, so that your name appears as the owner on the Certificate of Registration & Pedigree (Main Register).
3. Ensure that the Sire (Father) that you have chosen to mate your bitch is owned either by a financial member of DOGS NSW or an interstate controlling body and holds a Certificate of Registration & Pedigree (Main Register) paper.
4. Apply for a Breeder Prefix which will identify all dogs bred by you and becomes the first word of the names of all puppies to be registered. For example, Prefix ‘LOGIC’ name ‘GOLD NUGGET’ the full registered name of the puppy would be ‘LOGIC GOLD NUGGET’. Indicate your 8 choices on the Prefix Application form. At the time of your application for a prefix you must be a full financial Member of DOGS NSW. Your application will automatically enrol you in the Members Education Prefix Program (“MEPP”).
5. If you only include 2 or 3, and those are rejected by the DOGS AUSTRALIA National Prefix Register, then you will be required to submit another form. There is no timeframe as to when you can sit the Online Examination after enrolling, however, it is suggested you do study the materials listed below prior to sitting your Examination.
As soon as your Prefix Application is accepted by DOGS NSW you will be enrolled in the DOGS NSW Online Members Education Prefix Program.
When you join DOGS NSW you sign to agree and abide by its Constitution and Regulations. This includes Part I/1A: The Register & Registration and Part XIII: Code of Ethics. It is mandatory that you make yourself familiar with both of these Regulations.
6. Once your Application for a Breeders Prefix has been submitted, your requested Prefix Names will be sent to the DOGS AUSTRALIA Ltd National Prefix Register for provisional approval. You will be notified of your name approval after you have passed your exam and your premises has been inspected.
Caution: Under no circumstances are you authorised to breed a litter prior to registration of your Prefix and should you do so whilst a Member of DOGS NSW you would in all likelihood face a Judicial Inquiry.
Note: once you become a member of DOGS NSW, in accordance with the Regulations you may only breed with pedigree dogs on the Main Register of the DOGS AUSTRALIA Database, you must register all puppies in a litter and provide the Certificates of Registration & Pedigree to all new owners.
As a DOGS NSW Registered Breeder, under no circumstances are you permitted to sell any puppies 'without papers’ or breed any dogs that are not registered on the Main Register of the DOGS AUSTRALIA National Database.
All identified breaches of the Regulations are reported to the Disputes Assessment Panel for investigation and appropriate action.
The DOGS AUSTRALIA National Canine Health & Wellbeing Committee works to improve breeders’ awareness of, and the ability to reduce hereditary disease. Visit the DOGS AUSTRALIA website for more information.